One of the hardest sounds in English but one of the easiest to master! You will speak with this sound perfectly by following these steps. (And trust me: my husband followed these steps and speaks the sound “th” perfectly now!)
Steps to pronounce “th”
- Put tongue out of mouth / stick tongue out.
- Close mouth until your top teeth are just barely touching your tongue
- Breath out of your mouth
- Your tongue stays in the same place. You don’t need to move it in or out of your mouth.
- You should be able to see your tongue in the mirror while making this sound.
- Practice making the sound very slowly.
- Once it feels more comfortable, you can start to practice it faster.
- Try and do it 5 times fast.
- Then try 10 times fast.
- Try combining the “th” sound with other sounds.
Try practicing the following words.
Words starting with “th”
Words with “th” in the middle
Words with “th” at the end
What’s the hardest word for you to pronounce? Let me know in the comments!